FSEOG Application

As students are paying more and more money for a college education, they are looking for more ways to help pay for the education. One of they types of aid that students look to is the FSEOG. The FSEOG is a grant that does not have to be paid back and students with the highest financial need are awarded between $100 and $4000 per school year.

The FSEOG application is the FAFSA, or Free Application for Federal Student Aid. This application must be filed each school year that you want to be eligible for federal aid for college. Once you file your FSEOG application, it is sent to the government for processing, and then sent to the school, at which point they will review the application and send out an award letter to you giving you information on what you are eligible for and how much.

Since the FSEOG is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, it is advantageous to file the application as soon after it comes out January 1st as possible. The FSEOG application will ask you several questions about the finances of you and if applicable, your parents. These financial questions will gauge the overall ability of you and your family to contribute money towards your higher education.

To complete the application for the FSEOG, go to www.fafsa.ed.gov and click on start a new FAFSA. You will go through the process of completing the application online and submit the application with your FAFSA PIN.

There are several things you MUST have to complete the application beforehand and ensure you have these pieces of information below will mean a smooth application process in your goal of receiving the FSEOG.

  1. Your bank statements for the previous month.
  2. Your W-2 forms for the previous year. If you are applying on January 1st, for the semester that starts in fall of 2013, then you are going to need your W-2’s for 2012.
  3. Your tax forms for the previous tax year. If you have not completed your taxes as of the time you want to file the application, file the application with estimates and when your taxes are complete, you can go back and make changes.
  4. Your Social Security Number
  5. If you want to provide a drivers license number, a current drivers license.
  6. Any information about untaxed income that you received for the previous tax year. This would be any income that you did not report of your tax forms.
  7. Investment records like stock and bond accounts and/or statements from other investment accounts. Remember that retirement investments are not included on the FSEOG application.
  8. If you are not a US Citizen, but you are an eligible non-citizen, you will need your alien registration number.

Keep in mind, if you are considered a dependent student, you will also need all of the above information for your parents or if your parents are not married, you will need the information from the parent and step-parent who provides more than half of your support.

If you are not longer supported by your parents, yet are not considered an independent student by the government, you should contact the financial aid office at the school you wish to attend to see how to proceed.

With careful planning and a little forethought, you can ease through the process of filling out the application for the FSEOG and know that you have done everything you can to get the most grant money available to you under current financial aid laws and regulations.

Both comments and pings are currently closed.