FAQ for the FSEOG

  1. What does FSEOG stand for?The FSEOG stands for Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant. It is rare that you will hear it called by anything other than the FSEOG
  2. How much can I get from the FSEOG?The maximum amount available for the grant is $4000 dollars a year and the minimum awarded to students is $100 per school year.
  3. How do I apply for the FSEOG?The application for the FSEOG is the FAFSA, the same application used for all federal financial aid for college.
  4. When do I apply for the grant?The best time to apply is as soon as the application comes out on January 1st. The grant is very limited and is disbursed quickly.
  5. Can I get the FSEOG while getting my Masters Degree?The FSEOG is only for students who are working on their first bachelors degree. Any student who already has a 4-year degree is not eligible for this grant.
  6. Do I have to pay the grant back?No, however there are exceptions. If you are awarded the grant and then drop out of school, you will have to pay back the grant before receiving any type of federal aid for college again.
  7. Who is eligible for the FSEOG?Students who have the greatest financial need and who are eligible for the Pell grant are considered first for the grant. If all Pell recipients have been awarded FSEOG money and there is money left over, the school can disburse additional funds to students with the lowest EFC’s.
  8. Do all schools participate in the FSEOG program?No. Some schools have opted out of giving out FSEOG funds, even if they participate in other Title IV programs. There are schools that do not participate in any other federal financial aid programs at all. You can find out what schools participate in the Title IV programs by doing a federal school code search, but make sure you check with the actual school you want to attend to make sure they participate in the actual FSEOG program.
  9. Can I appeal with the school for not getting awarded funds?Yes, all schools have an appeal process with the financial aid office. You can file paperwork if you think you should be awarded more aid than you did. Most times people file an appeal if their income has been decreased by a large amount from the previous year. This is relevant because the FAFSA uses tax information from the previous tax year and if you lost income or your job after the new year, then you can file an income change form with the school explaining your situation, however the decision made by the financial aid office is final and there are no further appeals.
  10. How is FSEOG money disbursed?The money is given to the school by the federal government and the school acts as the governments agent when awarding fund. The funds are used to pay off any balance for school expenses first and if there is funds left over, they are disbursed to the student via check or by deposited into their accounts.
  11. What can the FSEOG money be used for?All federal aid for college is to be used for college expenses. All aid is first used to pay for any outstanding balance the student has at the school, if there is money leftover, it should be used for books, supplies, and other expenses related to college education.
Both comments and pings are currently closed.